Below is the Oregon state statute which controls the amount of money that doctors, hospitals, and other health care providers can charge for copies of medical records provided to the patient or the patient’s attorney for use in personal injury or wrongful death civil cases. Note that there may be other statutes which pertain to workers’ compensation claims, Social Security disability matters, etc.
We update this page when we learn of a new statute or any revision to the statutes. Despite our best efforts we cannot and do not represent that this statute is up-to-date. One type of revision which is especially hard for us to keep track of has to do with cost changes allowed annually by a statute and based on some indexed inflation rate.
We suggest that you read the actual state statute (as opposed to relying upon our brief summary) when there is a link available.
ORS 192.521 Health care provider and state health plan charges
A health care provider or state health plan that receives an authorization to disclose protected health information may charge:
- No more than $30 for copying 10 or fewer pages of written material
- $0.50 per page for pages 11 through 50
- $0.25 for each additional page
- Bonus charge of $5 if request for records is processed and records are mailed by first class mail to the requester within seven business days after the date of the request.
- Actual costs of preparing an explanation or summary of protected health information, if requested by an individual or a personal representative of the individual
- Postage costs
If you are aware of an additional or different medical records copying costs statute which should be posted for this state, please send a link to the relevant statute to Tom Lamb.
Likewise, any clarifications, corrections, or updates regarding the statute shown for this state should be submitted to Tom Lamb.
Please understand that the materials on this web page are for general information purposes only, and is not intended as legal advice.
Read more about the Law Offices of Thomas J. Lamb, P.A. >>
Go to this Request Form in order to receive a Firm Brochure >>
Here you can see a list of our many Case Evaluation forms >>