Below is the Michigan state statute which controls the amount of money that doctors, hospitals, and other health care providers can charge for copies of medical records provided to the patient or the patient’s attorney for use in personal injury or wrongful death civil cases. Note that there may be other statutes which pertain to workers’ compensation claims, Social Security disability matters, etc.
We update this page when we learn of a new statute or any revision to the statutes. Despite our best efforts we cannot and do not represent that this statute is up-to-date. One type of revision which is especially hard for us to keep track of has to do with cost changes allowed annually by a statute and based on some indexed inflation rate.
We suggest that you read the actual state statute (as opposed to relying upon our brief summary) when there is a link available.
Medical Records Access Act, Public Act 47 of 2004, MCL § 333.26269
- Initial fee of $24.48 per request for a copy of the record
- Paper copies:
- $1.22 per page for the first 20 pages
- $0.61 per page for pages 21 through 50
- $0.24 per page for pages 51 and over
- For mediums other than paper, the actual cost of copying
- Postage or shipping costs
- Actual costs incurred for records older than seven years
- A ‘patient’, as defined by this rule, shall not be charged the initial fee for the patient’s own medical record. However, a patient can be charged the other permitted fees (e.g., the per page fee).
If you are aware of an additional or different medical records copying costs statute which should be posted for this state, please send a link to the relevant statute to Tom Lamb.
Likewise, any clarifications, corrections, or updates regarding the statute shown for this state should be submitted to Tom Lamb.
Please understand that the materials on this web page are for general information purposes only, and is not intended as legal advice.
Read more about the Law Offices of Thomas J. Lamb, P.A. >>
Go to this Request Form in order to receive a Firm Brochure >>
Here you can see a list of our many Case Evaluation forms >>