Below is the Louisiana state statute which controls the amount of money that doctors, hospitals, and other health care providers can charge for copies of medical records provided to the patient or the patient’s attorney for use in personal injury or wrongful death civil cases. Note that there may be other statutes which pertain to workers’ compensation claims, Social Security disability matters, etc.
We update this page when we learn of a new statute or any revision to the statutes. Despite our best efforts we cannot and do not represent that this statute is up-to-date. One type of revision which is especially hard for us to keep track of has to do with cost changes allowed annually by a statute and based on some indexed inflation rate.
We suggest that you read the actual state statute (as opposed to relying upon our brief summary) when there is a link available.
Louisiana Revised Statutes 40:1165.1
For records, a reasonable charge not to exceed:
Paper / Microfilm:
- $1.00 per page for first 25 pages
- $0.50 per page for pages 26-350
- $0.25 per page thereafter
- Handling charge of $25.00
- Actual postage
Digital (Electronic) Records:
- Same as paper / microfilm rates
- Total charge shall not exceed $100.00, including all postage and handling charges actually incurred.
- Reasonable reproduction costs
- Handling charge of $20.00 for hospitals, $10.00 for other health care providers
- The charges for providing digital imaging media copies shall not exceed two hundred dollars, including all postage and handling charges actually incurred.
If you are aware of an additional or different medical records copying costs statute which should be posted for this state, please send a link to the relevant statute to Tom Lamb.
Likewise, any clarifications, corrections, or updates regarding the statute shown for this state should be submitted to Tom Lamb.
Please understand that the materials on this web page are for general information purposes only, and is not intended as legal advice.
Read more about the Law Offices of Thomas J. Lamb, P.A. >>
Go to this Request Form in order to receive a Firm Brochure >>
Here you can see a list of our many Case Evaluation forms >>